We want to have a list of Avoid List or Avoid Ingredients. Names of what you don't want to find or use in your skin care routine.
1. Parabens - They are a group of chemicals widely used as artificial preservatives in cosmetic and body care products. Scientific studies suggest that parabens can disrupt hormones in the body and harm fertility and reproductive organs, affect birth outcomes, increase the risk of cancer and cause irritation.
You can find them in: Shampoo & Conditioner, Moisturizers, Face Cleaners, Sunscreens, Deodorants, Shaving gels, Toothpastes, Makeup and more.
2. Triclosan - Linked to liver and inhalation toxicity, low levels of triclosan may disrupt thyroid function
You can find it in: Antibacterial Soaps, Detergents, Toothpaste, Facewash, Deodorants, and so many more.
3. PHTALATES: are linked to endocrine disruption, developmental and reproductive toxicity, and cancer, have been banned from cosmetics in the European Union, but still remain prevalent in U.S. products.
You can find it in: Color cosmetics, fragranced lotions, body washes and hair care products, nail polish
Other names: phthalate, DEP, DBP, DEHP and fragrance
4. BHA/ BHT : are used as preservati
ves in a variety of personal care products and food. These chemicals are linked to several health concerns including endocrine disruption and organ-system toxicity.
You can find it in: Lip products, hair products, makeup, sunscreen, antiperspirant/deodorant, fragrance, creams
5. Petrolatum: derived from petroleum, is often used in personal care products as a moisturizing agent. It is related with Cancer.
You can find it in: Lotions, cosmetics
Other names: Petroleum Jelly, Paraffin Oil, Mineral Oil and White Petrolatum.
Reference: Environmental Working Group. Safe Cosmetics